The volume is light today. This was expected the day before Thanksgiving. For those of us who made it into work we need a game plan for these lighter volume sessions. There is some money to be made but there is more money to be lost with poor trading decisions. Some ideas:
1) Decrease your tier size. If normally 1000 shares is your standard lot size, then reduce this to 500 shares.
2) Keep your stops tight.
3) Decrease the shot clock in your head. When I make a trade I expect certain things to happen immediately after I enter the trade. I expect the stock to start working for me. If you do not see this quickly then scratch the trade.
4) Watch for manipulated stocks. During these light volume days those with some money tend to drive up a few stocks. You can find a stock that is being marked higher and go along for the ride. These can be excellent trading opportunities for those with advanced momentum trading skills. I have traded many successful sessions finding such stocks and crushing them while others were watching TV on their couch. Make sure you have a clearly defined exit for these momentum plays and have the trading skills to handle such opportunities.
5) Trade selectively. This is a day only for your A trading set ups. Forget your B and C trades.
6) Take a long lunch. The midday is where you are most susceptible to taking a rip. The open will offer you the best opportunity to make money.
7) Spend time with your family. If you need a day off this is a great time to take some extra time and see your family. Trading well is difficult if you are not leading a fulfilling life. And some delicious pumpkin pie can’t hurt.
Enjoy the holiday!