Many traders believe they will be happy after they become profitable. In fact, first comes happiness, which then can dramatically propel elite performance.
Shawn Archer author of The Happiness Advantage, explains in this article Positive Intelligence:
In fact, it works the other way around: People who cultivate a positive mind-set perform better in the face of challenge. I call this the “happiness advantage”—every business outcome shows improvement when the brain is positive.
To be happier and more positive, we can take proactive steps for improvement. We can’t just sit around talking about it and expect positive change. Mr. Archer suggests in this article five exercises to improve happiness and thus performance:
- Jot down three things they were grateful for.
- Write a positive message to someone in their social support network.
- Meditate at their desk for two minutes.
- Exercise for 10 minutes.
- Take two minutes to describe in a journal the most meaningful experience of the past 24 hours.
I sat in a recent review with a developing trader, who has had success. I was impressed and inspired by the attention he committed to improving his personal health. He took time in his written review, submitted before our meeting, to outline specific ways to improve his person. From his review:
We know that our process drives results. With our daily process we must make room for personal improvement. From Mr. Archer’s research and my experience training traders, here are ten ideas to consider including to your daily process to drive performance:
- Journal everyday
- Join a trading community or firm to share experiences and lean on each other
- Develop a workout routine
- Breathe or meditate ten minutes each day
- Monitor your diet for peak performance
- Practice The Daily Gratitude Exercise
- Read, read, read
- Improve your ability to leverage technology by learning python or other coding languages
- Spend money on experiences like a social dinner, vacation with friends, Broadway play or sporting event
- Make a list of the things that help you reduce stress that positively impact your goals and find time for them
Build a daily life that makes you happy. Then learn how good you can be.
*no relevant positions